FriendBee SEND Befriending
FriendBee is a SEND Befriending Service delivered by Ruils that matches young people with a paid Befriender to help them access social and leisure activities. We currently support young people up to the age of 25 that have a Special Education Need or Disability (SEND) that impacts their social life, who also live in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames or Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
Our Befrienders are recruited, trained, vetted and employed by Ruils to make finding the right support easier for families. Our service is designed to make long-term and sustainable matches between families and Befrienders. While we help coordinate matches and manage the employment of Befrienders, parents work directly with Befrienders to establish a schedule for sessions.
We require that our Befrienders:
- Are over 18 years old
- Live, work or study in Richmond or Kingston Boroughs
- Have experience working with children/ young people
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Commit to at least 1 year
The hourly rate for Befrienders is £10.85 per hour (the London Living Wage) and this cost is covered by the family.
How it works
1. Download and fill out our Family Registration Form and submit it via email to Hallie or Sue. You can find more information about registration and the service here.
2. Arrange a Home Visit with Hallie or Sue. This is a time for us to get to know your family and how we can help. We typically meet with the family without the young person present so that we can speak openly about their needs.
3. We will create a profile about your family and share it with our registered Befrienders. Once a Befriender indicates an interest in working with you, we will pass along their contact details and you can set up an initial meeting.
4. Once you, your young person, and the befriender have met and everyone is happy to move forward, we allow you to make the arrangements directly with the Befriender.
5. The Befriender will have you sign a time sheet each month and will submit it to Ruils. You will receive an invoice with the amount owed.
Richmond Borough: Sue Robson
020 8831 6083
Kingston Borough: Hallie Banish
075 0802 2431
Work with us!
If you are looking to become a Befriender, please download and complete our Application Pack and email it to Tora Sykes, firstname.lastname@example.org - she will contact you regarding next steps.